Did you know that when you leave for vacation, this may cause an impact on your existing home insurance coverage? Read on to learn how going away might affect your coverages, as well as tips and tricks for making sure you're ready to jet set!
What do insurance companies require when you leave on vacation?
Most insurance companies require you to take specific precautions over the time you'll be away, in order to keep your existing coverage in place. For example, if you were to take a vacation over the winter, you might be required to drain your pipes, or make sure your home remains properly heated to prevent pipes from freezing and/or bursting.
If you don't follow the specific guidelines in your insurance company's policy, and something happens that causes you to make a claim, your insurance company may not pay your claim.
Tips for preparing your home when you are going to be away:
- When leaving for vacation, your insurance company may require someone come to check on your home every few days in order to maintain your full coverage. Have a trusted neighbour or trusted friend come and check on your home at least once a week. Stay connected and check in occasionally to see how things are going.
- Double-check your home's locks before leaving. This step is quick and easy, and can make a major impact, should someone try to break in.
- If you'll be gone for awhile, consider putting a hold on your mail. Having an overflowing mailbox, or stack of mail, could be a clear indication that nobody is home.
- The same goes for your heating and water. If you'll be away for an extended period of time, consider draining your pipes, and adjust your heating to keep your home functioning properly.
- Keep your plans private. Avoid posting on social media that you will be away.
The most important tip... chat with one of our experts!
The best and easiest way to find out how your home insurance policy might be impacted over vacation, and to make sure you're fully protected before your trip (including Travel Insurance), is by chatting with one of our licensed brokers. Give us a call today at 1-888-951-7897 to make sure you can get the most out of your vacay!